Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Indian Snacks: Bread Rolls


Since my parents have been in town the last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to essentially be lazy, overindulge and enjoy my mama's cooking! But I'm now back to cooking for myself so thus I'm back to blogging! Over the next few days I intend to focus on Indian Snack Recipes. Today's recipe comes from my Mum-shocking I know. They're called Bread Rolls and are a great hot snack with tea or just to munch on if peckish. Have a try-they're surprisingly simple to make.

Makes 12

What we need:

12 slices white bread, crust-less
4 medium potatoes, cooked and peeled
1/2 red onion, diced
1 diced green chilli (optional)
handful coriander, washed and diced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp jeera (cumin powder)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp coriander powder


How we do:
  • In a bowl mash the potatoes and add in the onion, coriander and all of the spices. Mix well.
  • Then take a slice of bread and dip it gently in water from both sides
  • Slightly press the bread between the palms to squeeze out the excess water. Be Gentle!!
  • Place a heap of the potato in the center of the bread and roll over the sides to cover the mixture forming oblong rolls. (You can use oil to help seal the edges).
  • Repeat this for each slice of bread.
  • Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the rolls.
  • Once they turn a deep golden brown color all over, they're ready!
  • BALLE BALLE!! Eat them hot with green mint chutney!

No comments:

Post a Comment